It's My First Time...

Monday, January 18, 2010

It's my first time speaking in front of people. It's this Wednesday, and I"m a mess of nerves. A few weeks ago John and I were asked by Brian and Briana of Divine Light Photography to come to the Wednesday night photoclub and speak about Night shooting. I of course felt extremely honored and incredibly excited because this is something John and I are VERY passionate about. We don't claim to be masters at this, we just LOVE LOVE LOVE doing it! I think John, who has a massive fear of public speaking (if you know John, this is so ironic, haha) is more nervous than me.

Last year I was asked to travel to Virgina to do a one on one mentoring session for another photographer, and over the last 3 years we have received many emails from new photographers wondering when and where they could hear us speak. I honestly never thought that day would come, and so soon. I believe we're mainly demonstrating what equipment we use and how a typical night shoot goes down for us. But, it got us to thinking, and we would LOVE to open up a little Q & A on here for people who have questions about anything and everything photography and non-photography related. It would help me out on Wednesday too if I knew what people didn't know about night shooting. So please, bring on the questions! :)

Because every post is better with pictures ;) here are a few of our fave night shoots :) :)






10 comments:

Corinna Hoffman Photography said...

Yay!! It's gonna be awesome!! Have fun :)

Unknown said...

what equipment/lighting do you take with you when you go to do a night shoot?

Kenzie Shores Photography said...

Thanks Corinna!

Renee- we use any street lights or "street glow" as we call it and a video light/ sometimes (2)flashes We have the 580 EX2/ and I primarily shoot with a 28mm, but a 50mm is b-e-a-utiful when it comes to shooting at night :)

Madilun said...

What's the deal with the spotlight?? I know John used it some at our wedding so when do you use that bv a flash?

Kenzie Shores Photography said...

Hey Marni! We really only use the flash when we're looking to do something slightly dramatic, like the plane and staircase pics. Or sometimes to help add to the ambient light (if its way too dark), but never allowing the light to directly hit the couple, you want to bounce the light off a wall, or have it at an angle. The video light is our serious favorite! It lights up the couple without taking away from the natural look of the shot, as used in the first image :)

Unknown said...

what are the advantages/disadvantages to doing an engagement session at night vs. during the day? All of the engagement sessions I have done have been during the day..Im kind of afraid to try a night shoot..

Unknown said...

When you go and do a night session..do you decide where the engagement session is going to take place or do you allow the couple to choose their favorite night spot?

Unknown said...

What ISO do you shoot with at night?

Unknown said...

Would you recommend bringing a tripod to every night session? Do you find yourself using a tripod on your shoots often? I hate lugging around more equipment then I have to! ha

Kenzie Shores Photography said...

Rene :) Thank you for all the questions :) First off, I would say the advantages to a night shoot is the romantic feel you get from the glow of the night :) Its our fave! and I feel that it adds that extra something to every shoot :) We rarely, if ever, use a tripod. Our ISO varies on the light source we're using. It could be anywhere from 800 to 1600 or even less :)

Hope this helps and we'll see you tonight!!!